Monday

Beginnings

I grew up in La Sarthe in northern France. After graduating in English Literature at the University of Poitiers, I moved to Britain where I married a Francophile and had a son who grew up in a bilingual home. Alongside discovering sisterhood and the vagaries of the 1970s women’s movement, I taught French in a secondary school. Eventually these two experiences converted me to sociology, then one of the keys to the ills of the world, and I found myself studying for fruitful years at the University of Warwick. My Ph.D nearing completion, I moved to Leicester University to work as a researcher at the Centre of Mass Communication Research. I cut the wire at Greenham Common, got divorced and married again, this time to an obstinate non-French speaker.

After ten years of research on public health policy, I feared I was losing my mother tongue. Oblivious of my give-away accent and odd grammar, needing to re-invent myself as French, I persuaded Leicester’s School of Modern Languages to pay for the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment